Monday, March 5, 2012

Fondant Art Cake and Cupcake Decorations

I feel a little like a broken record when I say I LOVE a challenge!

Tiffani, has challenged me on three occasions now, to create fondant decorations for an "art" themed birthday cake and cupcakes for her daughter, a "New York Yankee" themed cake, and a "safari" cake.

When working to create your vision in fondant, it helps me to know...
  • the type of event you are planning
  • whether you will be serving a cake, cupcakes, both, or some other type of dessert
  • the cake dimensions (shape, number of tiers, height and width/diameter of each tier)
  • colors to be used
  • if you have an invitation that you would like the decorations to match or complement
For Tiffani's art cake, she provided me with her plan to order a 2-tier, round cake, with a 6" diameter top tier (height TBD) and 10 or 12" diameter bottom tier (8" high), and 24 cupcakes. Tiffani suggested brushes, palettes and an easel -- she also provided me with her daughter's name and age to be celebrated, and turned me loose.

I came up with the following sketch
Tiffani approved the sketch and work began.  Here are the finished art cake decorations...





I didn't photograph the paint drips, but they were created and wrapped immediately to keep them soft and pliable. I didn't want them to dry and crack, so you will just have to use your imagination = )




In case your missed the New York Yankee themed fondant cake decorations that Tiffani ordered previously, here they are...






If you have a vision in fondant that you would like realized, please check out the Cupcake Stylist shop on Etsy, or contact me at CupcakeStylist@aol.com .  I would be happy to help!

Happy Styling!


No comments:

Post a Comment